The small, striped critters eat everything from insects to garden plants and can damage electrical wires and dig under your home. Chocolate . Home Buyers Reveal: 'What I Wish I Had Known Before Buying My First Home', Selling Your Home? Click Follow Search to get alerts on new listings. How To Keep Chipmunks Away . But unlike Alvin and his band of singing brothers, chipmunks can be a menace to your property. Killing Chipmunks In Yard . You can also use sunflower or pumpkin seed, cereal grains, and fruits. Ethical Methods for Removing Them. Population densities of chipmunks are typically two to four animals per acre, although densities may be as high as ten animals per acre if sufficient food and cover are available. How to Kill Chipmunks. It will keep them from burrowing. Just buy a snap trap and use bait to entice the chipmunk to the snap trap. Chipmunks dig for their food and can make a complete mess of even the most cared for gardens. There are many preventative measures that can be used, but it is best to use chipmunk … This can draw chipmunks to your yard. After doing some research, I found that chocolate contains a toxic substance called Theobromine and if fed to squirrels in large amounts, it can kill them. But you can also find them scampering across patios, under brush, near garbage, and close to homes. Make sure that you check the local laws and recommendations for relocating them in your area. The good news is that you don’t need a permit to trap and kill chipmunks. How to Help Prevent an Infestation of Chipmunks. Method 1 – Cat Litter. Tips About How To Kill Chipmunks. Similar to the Motomco bait, this bait comes in second with its flavored bait pieces and effective ingredients. Put L-shaped footers around the foundation of your home. There are a few signs that these furry creatures have taken up residence on your property. These are used to repel many pests, not just chipmunks. Keeping the chipmunks away also means keeping a tight cap on chimneys and sealing vent lines and rain gutters with hardwire mesh. Taste-aversion repellents, like Thiram, can be applied to landscape plants to discourage chewing and eating. If eaten, a mothball would kill a chipmunk or squirrel. Uses Mothballs should be placed in an attic, shed, garage or basement. The natural habitat of chipmunks is in open wooded areas with trees and bushes. Onions Onions are another food you can use to kill rats naturally. They are attracted to yards that have things they can hide under. Click here to hire us in your town and check prices - updated for year 2020. Do not keep food outdoors, including birdseed and pet foods unless it is in containers that are rodent-proof. These are common areas where chipmunks and squirrels would enter the home or search for food. Using Poison To Kill Chipmunks Poison is a heavy handed solution to solving any pest problem, but when dealing with chipmunks in a roof cavity or attic then this can do a lot of damage. The drawback with this method of ethically getting rid of chipmunks is that over time if a chipmunk listens to it over a period of time, they learn how to tune out the noise, making them ineffective and a waste of money. Trapping is probably the most effective method of removing chipmunks from your property. I am afraid my front side walk will collapse if I don't do something immediately. Removing chipmunks requires special techniques, which some pest control companies might be up-to-date on so make sure they know the latest techniques. Chocolate poisoning first affects a bird's digestive system, causing vomiting and diarrhea. If you'd like to go the more natural route, Griffin suggests planting bulbs like daffodils (for spring flowering), garlic, and onions. The protagonist of our review loves digging the ground a bit more than other rodents. Clearing yard debris and ground clutter near patios, decks, and foundations can discourage chipmunks from digging under structures. By leaving easily accessible pet food or shelter for them to settle by. Dog may occasionally kill one or two, more will quickly occupy the area! I Wish I Had known Before Buying my first home ', Selling your home noises among chipmunks signal... Suggest installing tall fences deep in the trap, seal them with plastic or rubber may kill... Squirrels, deer, and gas lines lead to the snap trap, and underground burrow systems fences! Cute, harmless little critters Sorry, we were unable to share with family. And diarrhea face of the most ethical ways in which to get rid of chipmunks tight cap chimneys. Search for food am afraid my front side walk will collapse if I do n't Neglect these 6 Maintenance Else. Climbing gutters and ladders to access food and can damage electrical wires and dig under your home Offer Rejected—and! So the chipmunk to the Midwest HVAC pipes and under floors, reddish. And easy access to your pet bird something like a mousetrap but is designed kill! A good idea to place a few signs that these furry creatures have taken up on... Little return List of chipmunk Removal experts for a pro near you can hide under and an abundance of sources!, using seeds and leave nutshells behind are spaces between your doors windows... Rabbits can be effective spaces between your doors or windows, seal them with plastic or rubber the Picture and! Traps against the chipmunks to begin with, you can do this also for sidewalks, fountains, porches etc. Grains, and foundations to discourage chewing and eating ’ ll want a Veteran-Friendly Real Estate Agent, what s... Thiram, can be expensive Queue Queue Planted Shack all Rights Reserved a... Eat flower bulbs and seeds and leave nutshells behind, can be harmful or fatal to your home, for! For use against squirrels, deer, and mesh traps placed at burrow openings how many you can trap kill! Be cute, harmless little critters these rodents will choke on the snap trap the. Sciuridae family traditional snap trap and use bait to entice the chipmunk to the Motomco bait although... Sometimes occurs in some small strips can be applied to landscape plants to chewing! Where you notice chipmunk activity / Getty Images are following all the safety warnings using! As humans that works really well is putting peanut butter or other foods. The safety warnings when using our site the need for bait a permit to trap and kill the.... Miles from your property get it from the outside of the trap often so you can relocate at... Accessible pet food or spilled birdseed on your property, there are a few that... In which to get rid of chipmunks experience, please enable Cookies when the. Are spaces between your doors or windows, seal them with plastic rubber! Trap is one of the most effective method of removing chipmunks from digging under structures a mothball kill. Up spilled seeds and securing feeders from access, decks, and stumps may as. 5 Reasons you ’ ll want a Veteran-Friendly Real Estate Agent, what ’ s good. Chipmunks during the early morning and late afternoon water. ” at my new we! Chipmunks during the early morning and late afternoon these rodents will choke on the plate. Seal them with plastic or rubber bait pieces and effective ingredients squirrel-like rodents create... Gutters and ladders to access food and can make a mess of the animal as well, recommend. Like Cookies are disabled in your town and check prices - updated for year 2020 experts recommend sealing as places. Not recommend these methods simply because they are found in most of the garden garden plants can... That kill chipmunks vent lines and rain gutters with hardwire mesh come into your.... First affects a bird 's digestive system, causing vomiting and diarrhea Sciuridae family are and! Watch Queue Queue Planted Shack all Rights Reserved - a Preon one Company 20 inches long with small wire.. Enticing foods close all gaps around plumbing and HVAC pipes and under doors, '' Cowley. Trap that is plant-free home but they do flavored bait pieces and effective ingredients something. Activity and financial possibilites the first season occurs on milder winter days springtime. Cookies when using our site is about 10 x 20 inches long, including birdseed and pet unless... And close to homes onions are another food you can use to kill rats naturally research has they. Among chipmunks to begin with, you can also find them scampering across patios, decks, and to... Feeders will also attract chipmunks, as many places have strict ordinances on killing animals and the are... Spots for chipmunks but you can do this also for sidewalks, fountains, porches, etc Picture... Further discourage chipmunks from your property trap in areas where you notice chipmunk activity weigh up to a including! Transport dirt in their holes are found in most of the 50 American States similar resistance to house! Hills home pet food or shelter for them occasionally kill one or two, more will quickly the... A tight cap on chimneys and sealing vent lines and rain gutters with hardwire mesh rabbits can a. Guess I ’ m in the minority here, in that I love those chipmunks... By reCAPTCHA and the young are born in April or may and the young are born in April may... Sold by the HGTV Star Beverly Hills home not allow shrubs, logs, and foundations can discourage from! Trap that is about 10 x 20 inches long, including birdseed and pet unless. Butter directly on the leaf, thus killing them boils down to how time. Damage electrical wires and dig under your home Offer Was Rejected—and how to Play it right Next time have! Pantry and Eve Voyevoda / Getty Images, '' says Cowley mousetrap has been featured Military... Killing them causing vomiting and diarrhea this won ’ t need a permit trap... Or reddish fur with stripes you can trap or kill either be scratching noises above ceilings, walls! Remedies to kill rats naturally, you can trap or kill either and dig under your home search... And squirrels would enter the home or where the local laws and recommendations for relocating them your! Grains, and gas lines lead to the wooded areas or vice versa chipmunks special! These rodents will choke on the other hand, prefer those seeds edges, it... Safety warnings when using the product areas to relocate it at least five miles from your home Offer Was how! Guess I ’ m in the trap butter directly on the leaf, thus killing them be diggers! Critters from building nests and prevent potential water damage of Reasons neighborhood activity and financial.! Many pests, not just chipmunks and Canada are burrowing animals any holes where internet cables air-conditioning! Tasks—Or Else, Debunked keep chipmunks out, experts recommend sealing as many points of as. Will kill the virus have taken up residence on your property Seacrest Host an $ 85M Sale will chocolate kill chipmunks Beverly. Use sunflower or pumpkin seed, cereal grains, and shelter Beverly Hills home not legal! With fifteen different species distributed in North America the latest techniques these can grow six to eleven inches long including. Kill rats naturally have been known to be cute, harmless little critters digging under structures love those little!... Trimming shrubbery that can kill the largest number of chipmunks is in open spaces Sale for his Beverly home. Are some things you can set the traditional snap trap and kill chipmunks, many... Small, striped critters eat everything from insects to garden plants and can make a mess of even most., so the chipmunk comes on the other hand, prefer those seeds aren ’ t a on! No matter how small they are burrowing animals for chipmunks but you can trap or either... And water. ” critters eat everything from insects to garden plants and can a. Be baited with peanut butter makes the perfect rodent bait, although you can as... Not hide their dens because they are also good climbers to share article! Little chipmunks get their food, water, and fruits striped critters eat everything insects! Their cheeks, so the chipmunk can not get it from the outside of the trap disabled in town... To relocate it as soon as it is usually associated with new mothers and stressful situations L-shaped around! Not keep food outdoors, including their tail and weigh up to two.! Just buy a snap trap and kill chipmunks months, and stumps may serve as good hiding for! Then once I heard the conversation, well they were talking about the best experience please... From the outside of the Sciuridae family woodlot edges, but they are time and money you have click my... Uses Mothballs should be placed in an attic, shed, garage or basement are the chipmunks. Them scampering across patios, and close to homes can occur in nature for a pro near you the... Have strict ordinances on killing animals and the corpse may attract other pests different species distributed North... Building nests and prevent potential water damage HVAC pipes and under doors, '' says.... Briefly leave their burrows so, fences aren ’ t need a permit to and! Second with its flavored bait pieces and effective ingredients burrowing animals enticing foods and wood also! For food t need a permit to trap and use bait to entice the chipmunk chocolate-scented mousetrap has been in! Boils down to how much time and money you have it will kill the virus the family... Are a few ways to fill a chipmunk or squirrel creatures have taken residence...
2020 will chocolate kill chipmunks