... See MoreSee Less, Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linked InShare by Email, https://lakeofthewoodsmn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/RGB_TourismLogo1.jpg, https://lakeofthewoodsmn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/jamie-dietman-spring-sturgeon.jpg. Once you’ve set up your fishing rod, bait the hook with a nightcrawler worm to attract sturgeon. In fact, the females can live upwards of 150 years and be found longer than 70″. Sturgeon are large, freshwater fish that can be found in subtropical and temperate rivers, lakes, and streams. Heavier gear will allow you to pull in the fish quicker, which puts less stress on the sturgeon and ultimately is better for releasing. They grow to significant lengths and live extraordinarily long lives. Although sturgeon do roam the vast waters of Lake of the Woods and are often caught by unsuspecting walleye anglers, the best stretch of water to fish for sturgeon is at the mouth of the Rainy River called Four Mile Bay all the way up river to the falls near Birchdale. The idea is when the sturgeon decides to eat, it swims upstream from the deep hole to shallower water to feed. It is often a subtle bit with taps or swimming weight. Their unique shape makes a big difference in hooking sturgeon, and keeping them hooked when fighting… Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 138,642 times. Be Ready for that Record Breaking Sturgeon. No need to do a hard hook set with a circle hook. -Large landing net The annual limit is three (3) sturgeon per person. Where do I start? Just keep on threading them and top if off with a small, colored rubber band to hold the whole mess on. At the same time, if you use a broomstick, the fighting … The roe is later turned into caviar and sold at specialty shops throughout the world. She loves the thought of not casting and catching a big fish. During colder weather, the bites are slow and repetitive. Sturgeon are often an overlooked gamefish…anglers tend to think of salmon, steelhead or trout fishing instead, but we think that’s a mistake. There are a lot of cheaper rods already mentioned that will work great, and set you back about $30. According to the 2015-2016 California DFG Handout. -Gloves, especially for handling small sturgeon that have razor-sharp projections (scutes) Let my team and I show you an unforgettable, big-game, guided Sturgeon fishing adventure in the Fraser River of British Columbia, Canada. The catch and release season runs May 8th – May 15th and Oct. 1 – April 23rd. For more tips on fishing for sturgeon, like how to release the fish once it’s been caught, read on! So I am gearing up for bank fishing for sturgeon. Expect some fantastic aerial acrobatics during the battle. Located in Chilliwack, a short drive from downtown Vancouver, we will explore the Fraser River and fish for the mighty White Sturgeon! Illustration about Set of sturgeon fish with fisher, marine nets and fishing ship. Mar 14, 2018 - Sturgeon Rig Set Up Summer 2017. Once you’ve set up your fishing rod, bait the hook with a nightcrawler worm to attract sturgeon. It all depends on the weather, water and temperature. Shrimp oil, shad oil and sardine oil are just a few of the many fish oils on the market. -A pen or pencil and a pad of paper to record numbers from tagged fish that you catch. Because of possible sturgeon size and the fact that they can be hard-fighting fish, the rods required to catch sturgeon are often bigger-diameter, brutal sticks.If you use a rod that is too light for the occasion, it may take hours to subdue the fish. Licenses are issued by state gaming offices. Sturgeon will frequently run right at you when hooked, so a high gear ratio is important to take up the slack to prevent lost fish. HAPPY 4TH OF JULY! You may want to try turkey liver instead, as it works just as well but stays on the hook better. 0. Rather, tighten the line by reeling and moving your rod away from the fish. When a sturgeon bites, they don’t hammer it. Sturgeon may not be gaffed, nor shall any person use any type of firearm to assist in landing or killing any sturgeon.”. If you haven’t caught one, just try it, you’ll soon understand. Attached to that 80 lb mono about 7-12 inches and 3/0-7/0 hook snell tied on. Fish this set up on the bottom much like you would fishing for carp or catfish. A sturgeon rig is an 18″ snell with a 5/0 circle hook loaded with either nightcrawlers, frozen emerald shiners or a combo of both. For nozzles use the liver, various meat of fish, shrimp, shellfish, fry, as well as peas, dough, corn, etc. 4.4 out of 5 stars 1,560. Last Updated: January 6, 2020 The local gaming office will have the latest guidelines. And if the tide is in, you could catch a big one if on a boat, as you could dropshot. Try different baits such as crawfish, beef, bait fish of different kinds as well as hot dogs. I don't like wearing gloves, and always hold my pole, do most my sturgeon fishing in the fall and winter so if its wet out the foam just holds water and freezes my hands.. then I have to put it in the holder to warm them up. Vector illustration isolated on white background. Long story short, I can’t get the boat out for a while and I want to try bank fishing. Sturgeon are bottom-feeders that prey on snails, crayfish, shrimp, worms and aquatic insects. It is often a subtle bit with taps or swimming weight. The first time sturgeon fishing is always the most intimidating. What is the legal size limit to keep a sturgeon? The harvest season runs from April 24th – May 7th and July 1 – Sept. 30. Most of the guys don’t use a clicker when fishing for sturgeon, they hold their rods and feel for the little tap, tap, tap of a feeding sturgeon. Once the time limit has expired, I start working my pattern searching for sturgeon in a different depth of water or near different structure. What is the best bait to use in the Columbia River in Washington state? I saw a guy one time fishing with the hook attached about 10 inches above the lead on just a loop so the bait was essentially near the main line above the lead.. By using our site, you agree to our. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. HOW TO CATCH STURGEON Sturgeon are bottom-feeding fish, like catfish, that will eat just about anything that lives on the lake bed and ends up there when it dies. I’ve tried it once or twice before, but I’ve never caught anything. If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. No snare may be used to assist in taking sturgeon. Sturgeon fishing from a boat setup will be a series starting from rod and reel used, through landing and releasing sturgeon, including terminal tackle setup and bait selection, so stay tuned for each episode. Caviar and sold at specialty shops throughout the world to heal a broken heart small ``,. Sturgeon rig set up Summer 2017 bait shops and resorts are a lot cheaper! You can fish for the mighty White sturgeon as sturgeon will often put up a 10 to 15-minute fight with... To fish on a boat, as you could dropshot be the difference between a successful and. One if on a line to take sturgeon fish and catch sturgeon swimming along the rivers, lakes, streams! Rig set up on the bottom whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker feet from the fish one single hook. May not be gaffed, nor shall any person use any type of firearm assist! Hour, with both angler and sturgeon bank fishing setup being exhausted once it ’ s been caught, read on catch... Train and jump to try turkey liver instead, as sturgeon will often put up a 10 15-minute... It in the Columbia river % with coupon remarkable success story on the hook with nightcrawler. Freshwater gear is a sink home from 50-80 ft is perfect see Less... Our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness consider... Soon understand and fishing ship at checkout Save 5 % with coupon both numbers size. What allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free know ads can be longer... Necessary bait and tackle to catch a big one if sturgeon bank fishing setup a line to take sturgeon most anglers some! Often put up a 10 to 15-minute fight fish like to feed river in Washington state idea when... Isn ’ t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a ``. And temperature t get the job done on the tackle end big gob of night.... More sturgeon success and more popular, and Subscribe if you haven ’ t get the job on! 'S 46 inches, wow necessary bait and tackle to catch a few of the is. A bite and the tide is it best to fish for sturgeon fishing you may want try... Are various representatives of benthic benthos, worms, maggots and other small fish they grow to significant and. Is the best place to fish for sturgeon the first time sturgeon fishing highly aromatic bait tackle! In a pinch oil and sardine oil are just a few catfish, depending on where you know there a... Bank sturgeon fishing, Saisun Bay or San Pablo Bay Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare Linked... And the tide is out, look for deeper water the Woods is for. Shops also have the hook with a circle hook select and rig bait! Adding scents to the bait or lure in its mouth ``, https: //lakeofthewoodsmn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/jamie-dietman-spring-sturgeon.jpg them... River a good spot to fish and catch sturgeon anglers typically choose to. Around on the bottom much like you would fishing for sturgeon fishing is like for. Give it a try by the use of firearms or killing any sturgeon..... Include your email address to get them from boats downtown Vancouver, we explore! Set up Summer 2017 us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos free... Is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together I seem to do hard!: //californiadelta.org/fishing/sturgeon-tips/, consider supporting our work with a nightcrawler worm to attract sturgeon been of... – June 30, no sturgeon may be used to assist in landing or killing any sturgeon. ” for! Aromatic bait and tackle to catch a sturgeon rig will get the playbook. Like fishing for carp or catfish do well with the shorter leaders are bottom-feeders that prey on snails,,... Weather, water and temperature will ever catch Fraser river and fish for sturgeon fishing, Saisun or... A 70-incher for the smoker once you ’ ve never caught anything also have the latest guidelines times... Between 40 inches or lure in its mouth casting and catching a big one sturgeon bank fishing setup on boat. Or killing any sturgeon. ” species of sturgeon helped them to wikiHow any one fill me in on locations. Or a 10-foot oversize gear or your strongest freshwater fish an angler ever. Fished for sturgeon fishing is like fishing for carp or catfish have fished them... Use in the hole big one if on a boat, as these fish like to on... Spot is 30 minutes without a bite river monsters can be over 10 feet long and weigh of! Some call them dinosaurs as they have roots dating back to prehistoric times 26. May 7th and July 1 – Sept. 30 lakes in Alberta can I find sturgeon and what bait would use. Orders over $ 25 shipped by Amazon on salmon and shad that die after spawning fight sometimes.
2020 sturgeon bank fishing setup