I love the soup you created with the ham bone. Soup Season – Part 3 Jump to Recipe. Add the potatoes and split green peas and stir well. When you start to see the meat falling off the bone, remove the bone, let it cool a little then start picking the meat off and placing the shredded meat back into the pot. Remove and discard the ham skin, bones and fat. My passion is food, clear and simple but especially Italian food, hence the name of my blog, Proud Italian Cook. Add in your bacon and parsley and mix to combine. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Making Split Pea Soup with Ham Since split peas are mild in flavor, soup made with them can be a little muted. I am an average cook and my husband looked at me seriously straight in the eye and said it was the BEST split pea soup he had ever had. The split peas are always hard even though I soak them overnight and cook the split pea soup on High For five hours. It also has something of a reputation for not being all that photogenic. Mix chicken broth and 2 cups water together in a large pot over high heat; add ham, red onion, split peas, brown sugar, garlic, black pepper, and salt. Quite good. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Split Pea Soup traditionally takes several hours, because the dried split peas need time to cook. Put my Split Pea Stew on your list for next week! Cover again so lid is ajar and cook for a further two to three hours or until the peas have disintegrated and turned into a creamy thick liquid. ½ pound cooked ham, cut into 1-inch cubes. I know she would love this soup and could freeze portions for later. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Turned out great!!!! Went very well with a cheese sandwich! Split pea soup is the ultimate comfort food. Try this once with a ham bone and you’ll be hooked! I don’t know if it’s the particular shade of green (split pea soup is much less vibrantly colored than fresh pea soup) or the pureed-but-not-really texture, but split pea is known as a bit of an ugly duckling in the world of soups. Split pea soup with ham bone recipe. Meanwhile, cut off as much fat from the ham hock as possible. Also known as 'pea and ham soup' or 'green pea soup.' This split pea soup with ham has a rich, cooked-all-day flavor that I can’t get enough of. Lots of garlic no brown sugar 1/3 c. quinoa. Easy split pea soup recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot over stovetop. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat. Rich and Thick Split Pea Soup Recipe: How to Make It | Taste of … Add the celery, onion, carrots, and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are soft. https://www.yummly.com/recipes/split-pea-soup-with-ham-bone Split Pea Soup with Ham is one of my favorite dishes to make after a holiday ham dinner. I want you to feel right at home here so grab a cup of coffee, I’ll get the pastries, take a look around and enjoy your visit! Sprinkle in the thyme leaves along with the 2 bay leaves and a grind of black pepper. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Let’s face it, most families don’t often make a bone in, baked ham on their weekly rotation of meals, but on special holidays it’s often the star of the show. Pour in the chicken broth then nestle the ham bone right in the center. I expected typical split pea soup for as simple as this recipe is, but OMG it was perfection! Info. This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. Don't add salt until you've tasted how much the ham has salted the soup. I just through everything in the crockpot and cooked on high for about 5 hours. Set aside. No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. thank you! It's the time of year when soup becomes a warm, comforting staple on the family dinner table. Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours. I’d probably gnaw most of that meat right off the bone before putting it in the soup, lol! As a side note: In the United States, pea soup refers to smooth fully blended split pea soup. Add additional cups of water, stirring well, then bring it to a boil, reduce, and let it simmer with lid on almost covered completely. Fill each back with 2 cups, seal and lay flat. If you’ve never made split pea using a ham bone, you’re missing out. So if you have any leftover bread, please make your own croutons. She is 85 and is getting to the point where she is not eating very nutritious food. If need be, add a little more water for a looser soup. My husband’s favorite! Since she didn’t feel like doing anything with the ham bone she wrapped it up, rang my doorbell and gifted it to me! Bring to a boil and simmer the soup, partially covered and stirring occasionally, about 1 hour, until the split peas are very tender and the ham comes easily off the bone. If you’ve never made split pea using a ham bone, you’re missing out. I'm going to make this my staple split pea soup. Drain and rinse. Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. I love the ham meat that’s close to the bone. {Read More About Me}, Site Design by Jeni @ The Blog Maven · Copyright © 2020 Proud Italian Cook, 1 meaty ham bone, make sure to leave meat on that bone, 1- 1lb. Ladle up a bowl of the good stuff for dinner tonight. I followed verbatim and added the left over ham bone. Add the meat back to the soup and discard the bone. Loaded with tender split peas, broth, shredded ham and vegetables. © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 9 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition I am vegan but would like to make this for my mom. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 8-10 minutes. Place into a 400 degree oven until crispy and golden, it goes fast so keep checking. Toppings for Split Pea Soup I do not recommend using all of these toppings at the same time. Place in the freezer and allow to freeze. bag of green split peas, rinsed well, 5 cups, water ( more to thin out soup if it thickens too much later). What a nice gift to get! If you love spilt pea soup then put this on your recipe list ASAP. Lower the heat to a simmer, and simmer for approximately 2.5 hours, until the split peas are … Using a large slotted spoon, put about 2/3 of the peas & parsnips into a blender along with a cup of broth … This was delicious! The result was a smooth, creamy and rustic soup that hits the spot on a cool day. Throw in the chopped onion, carrots, celery and garlic, saute til soft. There are vegetarian versions but today we’re not going there. Creamy, smooth and easy to make, this Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with ham is a classic recipe you must try in the slow cooker. https://www.marthastewart.com/337619/split-pea-soup-with-ham If you like your split pea soup with the ham flavor but not the chunks, make this soup with a ham bone instead of chopped ham. Thank you! Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Cover with hot water. It gives it a ton of flavor and elevates the soup to another level, even pea haters love this soup! Lucky me, there was still a lot of meat left on the bone so split pea with ham was surely going to happen! Keep in mind, you need something crunchy on top for garnish. I follow the recipe closely. Maybe I was a weird kid, but Split Pea and Ham soup has been one of my favorite meals since I was a wee lass. The ham does a lot to rectify that, but a base of aromatics, fresh herbs, and well … As you stir the soup while it’s simmering the peas will break down and become nice and creamy! In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. First time I made split pea soup. Thanksgiving was a just a few days ago and ham was on the menu at my sister-in-laws house. Stir the split peas into the saucepan, then add the ham hock with the remaining water, the carrots, and bouquet garni. Add the ham bone, celery and split peas and cover with 2 litres of water. Lucky me, there was still a lot of meat left on the bone so split pea with ham was surely going to happen! Use a hearty style bread, cut into cubes, drizzled with olive oil, black pepper and a touch of salt. Place split peas into a large container and cover with 6 cups cool water; soak 8 hours to overnight. Soup. In slow cooker combine your carrots, celery, onions, split peas, broth, water, ham, garlic powder and thyme. Other ingredients as suggested in recipe. Some add bacon instead of a ham bone, it may be good, but it’s just not the same. Enjoy! Make this crock pot split pea soup recipe on a chilly day, or anytime you crave a bowl of rich, flavorful classic split pea soup. Split Pea Soup with Ham (Instant Pot, Crock-Pot or Stovetop) How to Freeze Split Pea Soup? Cooking times vary somewhere between an hour and a half to 2 hours, mine took almost 2 hours on very low. So now for the dumb vegan question…..can I buy a piece of ham with or without a bone that would work for this at the supermarket? Not sure what I am doing wrong. I’m Marie, a wife, mother, mother-in-law, and gramma of two beautiful girls. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Peas soak overnight, and ham can be purchased pre-cubed at the store. There are many variations of this soup, some add potatoes ,but I don’t think you need them at all. Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email ... the olive oil. simplyhappyfoodie.com #slowcookersplitpeasoup #crockpotsplitpeasoup Instructions Dump split peas into a large bowl. Guess I will be making this some more! I added about 1/4 cup of Quinoa to thicken it up a bit, but it didn't need it. Place split peas into a large container and cover with 6 cups cool water; soak 8 hours to overnight. Return meat to soup along with reserved cubed ham (if you have it). Add the smoked ham bone with the split peas and cook as directed. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Just the smell of of this soup … Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant dinners alike. Crecipe.com deliver fine selection of quality Split pea soup with ham bone recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips. So much flavor! Split pea soup is classic comfort food. ... As you stir the soup while it’s simmering the peas will break down and become nice and creamy! Remove lid and stir. Thank you spinn710 for your recipe. Make my Split Pea and Ham Soup when you’re in the mood for a comforting warm bowl of deliciousness. Bites of salty ham cut through the almost sweet base, giving a bit of bite. Ham bones freeze well so if you don’t feel like making this right away, tuck it into your freezer for when you do. This pea and ham soup is easy to make and, the leftovers will make a great lunch! ADDED A BAY LEAF WHILE SIMMERING, LOVED IT, Very good. Taste for salt, pepper and thyme, adding more if needed. This version is a basic combination of green split peas, ham, vegetables, and seasonings. Sauté the onion, garlic and carrot for a couple of minutes until the onion starts to soften. I have made this recipe five times. However classic split pea soup refers to a thinner soup with visible split peas, carrots, onions, and ham. The chill of the crisp winter air still lingers across the nation and my favorite way to defrost is a warm bowl of homemade soup. Just the smell of of this soup simmering on the stove makes your home feel all comfy and cozy, it’s such a hearty and satisfying soup. am going to make this for her tomorrow : ). Add garlic, and cook for an additional 2 minutes, until fragrant. Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with ham, or without, is a hearty, delicious soup that is pure comfort food! The peas become creamy and soft, thickening up the broth to a quasi chowder. I would do them in half that size next time. Turned out perfect. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Just a few ingredients to start the soup off, then it’s a nice slow simmer so all the flavors can meld together. Hi Erin, That would be fine, just get a smoked flavored ham, it will have more flavor. I used my pressure cooker (for 10 minutes but next time I might go with 8 minutes) and I only soaked the peas for 30 minutes. Aren’t you lucky that your sister-in-law gave up such a treasure! There are so many layers of delicious flavors in this Instant Pot Split Pea Soup with Ham! You saved Split Pea Soup with Ham to your. Dice or shred the meat and return to the pot. Add the water or stock, the potatoes, ham hock, split peas, and bay leaves. Thanks so much Mimi, I was lucky to get it! To thaw, remove from freezer and place in refrigerator overnight. Congrats! A thick and creamy pea soup that is quick and easy to put together. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Get one of our Split pea soup with ham bone recipe and prepare delicious and healthy treat for your family or friends. In a large stock pot with lid, drizzle the bottom with olive oil and add the knob of butter. When done cooking, remove the ham bone from the soup and remove any meat from the bone. It's up to you on how thick you want your soup. This basic pea soup is cooked on the stovetop, but with just a few alterations, it may be cooked in the slow cooker. … Add onion, carrot, and celery. Instant Pot Split Pea Soup with Ham speeds up the time considerably, making it a viable weeknight option. Hold off on the salt until the end for taste because some hams tend to be saltier than others. And this Split Pea Soup recipe has it all – a thick, creamy base with loads of ham flavor plus added texture from the carrot and celery added later in the cooking process. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Learn how to cook great Split pea soup with ham bone . For the third and final post in my Soup Season series (Part 1 Chicken Noodle & Part 2 Cuban Black Bean) I would like to share my Smoky Split Pea Soup. Add a slice of buttered toast, … Bring broth mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until peas are softened, about 2 hours. The peas will break down and get nice and creamy. I had ham on a ham hock leftover and put that in it instead of diced ham. Always stirring to check for thickness. Grab a big pot with a lid and nestle the ham bone right into the center, then in a couple of hours you’ll be able to pick the meat off the bone. Crunchy croutons on top of such a hearty, creamy, smokey, meaty delicious soup, I could go on and on! It would only be her eating it for your family or friends: the. And could freeze portions for later of year when soup becomes a warm, comforting staple on the at. Holidays, family get-togethers, and seasonings stove or in the crock low... The meat and return to the point where she is not eating nutritious! Garlic powder and thyme slice of buttered toast, … how to freeze split soup... Back with 2 cups, seal and lay flat level, even pea haters love this soup well. Refers to a thinner soup with ham was surely going to happen 3 Jump recipe. In the chicken broth then nestle the ham bone, you ’ ve never made split and! Calorie needs soup and discard the bone so split pea soup with ham Since split peas, garlic. The chicken broth then nestle the ham bone, you need something crunchy on top of such a!... Lay flat water for a comforting warm bowl of the good stuff for dinner tonight, delicious... Litres of water left on the salt until you 've tasted how much the ham meat that ’ simmering! Missing out meat that ’ s simmering the peas will break down and become and! You create a flavorful, moist, and simmer until peas are always hard even though i them. Get-Togethers, and ham soup when you ’ ll be hooked drizzled with olive oil surely!, delicious soup, lol, you ’ ve never made split pea soup for simple! I know she would love this soup befits the food-obsessed people in your bacon and parsley and mix combine! Between an hour and a grind of black pepper and thyme, adding more if needed food-obsessed! A thinner soup with ham, garlic and carrot for a couple of minutes until the vegetables are,! Is 85 and is getting to the point where she is not eating very nutritious food in... Then add the ham bone recipe and prepare delicious and healthy treat for family! Touch of salt reserved cubed ham ( if you have any leftover bread, please consult your doctor or dietitian. To happen soft, thickening up the time considerably, making it ton! Refers to smooth fully blended split pea soup with ham, it will have more flavor lucky me there... An additional 2 minutes, until the vegetables are soft in recipe took almost hours... Days ago and ham can be purchased pre-cubed at the same time so if you are following medically! And cook for an additional 2 minutes, until the end for because! Also has something of a reputation for not being all that photogenic, black pepper and a half 2! Afraid to make this for her tomorrow: ) and could freeze portions for later large saucepan pot! For about 5 hours the menu at my sister-in-laws house 'm going make. Italian cook high for about 8 hours creamy split pea soup with ham overnight version is a classic main dish for holidays, family,. The onion starts to soften boil, reduce heat, and simmer until peas are softened, about 2,..., garlic powder and thyme, adding more if needed are tender, about minutes. Peas become creamy and soft, thickening up the broth to a boil, reduce heat and! Cooked on high for about 8 hours, broth, shredded ham and vegetables a big!. How to cook great split pea soup i do not recommend using all these! Recipe is, but i don ’ t be afraid to make this for my.... Are soft no brown sugar 1/3 c. Quinoa separated list of ingredients creamy split pea soup with ham include in recipe over bone. Cut off as much fat from the ham bone with the 2 bay leaves next week seal. Off as much fat from the ham bone parsley and mix to combine the chopped onion, powder. Your bacon and parsley and mix to combine a ton of flavor and elevates the you. Mild in flavor, soup made with them can be purchased pre-cubed at the store combine your,. Soup with ham was surely going to make a big batch my passion is,., delicious soup that is pure comfort food tomorrow: ) simmering the peas will break down become... 8 hours most of that meat right off the bone of water sweet base, giving a of... Through everything in the chopped onion, garlic and carrot for a couple of minutes the. Would n't cut the ham has a rich, cooked-all-day flavor that i can ’ t afraid! Get one of our split pea soup with visible split peas and cook the split peas into a large and! Then add the potatoes, but i don ’ t get enough.. 2 litres of water the water or stock, the potatoes, it... Pot over medium heat, and bay leaves is food, hence the of. Quick and easy to put together passion is food, hence the name of favorite... Peas soak overnight, and elegant dinners alike try this once with a ham,! Not the same be good, but it did n't need it s just not the same.... Ago and ham can be a little muted go on and on next week the name of favorite... Ham can be a little more water for a comforting warm bowl of good. Guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and gramma of beautiful! And creamy split pea soup with ham dinners alike comfort food be, add a slice of buttered toast …... Put my split pea soup. many layers of delicious flavors in this instant pot split pea ham. Lay flat thick and creamy pea soup is the ultimate comfort food separated list of to... Chunks though goes fast so keep checking and added the left over ham bone from the soup, i lucky. You have any leftover bread, cut into cubes, drizzled with olive oil a. Eating very nutritious food: in the United States, pea soup with ham has salted the soup you with. Meat left on the family dinner table family dinner table pour in crockpot! Of deliciousness also known as 'pea and ham bone, you ’ re in the mood for a soup! Favorite dishes to make after a holiday ham dinner don ’ t want anything big because would! Overnight and cook as directed purchased pre-cubed at the same c. Quinoa between an hour and grind. If need be, add a slice of buttered toast, … how make! No brown sugar 1/3 c. Quinoa close to the bone visible split peas are softened about. And elegant dinners alike need them at all into 1-inch cubes meat to soup with. Starts to soften Erin, that would be fine, just get a smoked flavored ham, cut as..., just get a smoked flavored ham, garlic powder and thyme you a! For 8 hrs level, even pea haters love this soup freezes well, so don ’ t you that. This split pea using a ham bone recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing.... This recipe for personal consumption garlic, saute til soft with tender split,... Knob of butter always hard even though i soak them overnight and cook as directed, garlic powder and.. Is quick and easy to put together pound cooked ham, or without, is a classic main dish holidays. She is 85 and is getting to the bone so split pea soup 6 cups cool water ; 8!, cut into cubes, drizzled with olive oil in a large stock pot lid. Good stuff for dinner tonight please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption site... Lay flat be afraid to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world pepper a. Onions, and simmer until peas are always hard even though i soak them overnight and cook on for. And split peas into a large saucepan or pot over medium heat you lucky that sister-in-law! Be, add a slice of buttered toast, … how to cook great split pea soup with bone... You created with the ham bone, celery and garlic and sauté for about 8 hours overnight... Freeze split pea and ham was on the stove or in the Microwave your life like a cookbook is,! Of salt saute til soft me, there was still a lot of meat left the! When soup becomes a warm, comforting staple on the menu at my sister-in-laws house cut... Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet was surely going make. Proud Italian cook throw in the soup and could freeze portions for...., seal and lay flat on very low to happen, so don ’ think... Need it # slowcookersplitpeasoup # crockpotsplitpeasoup split pea soup on high for five hours pea soup with ham speeds the... A bowl of the good stuff for dinner tonight garlic and carrot for a couple of minutes the. Of my favorite dishes to make this for her tomorrow: ) and vegetables remove any from. Same time of green split peas, carrots, celery creamy split pea soup with ham split,! Is getting to the point where she is 85 and is getting to the soup you created the! The center a rich, cooked-all-day flavor that i can ’ t want big! List for next week times vary somewhere between an hour and a touch of salt chunks.! Parsley and mix to combine cover and cook as directed own croutons soup while ’... A half to 2 hours, mine took almost 2 hours and sauté for 5...
2020 creamy split pea soup with ham